Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

View Poll Results: Which car to buy to suit a smooth flowing driving style?
Xray xb4 8 16.00%
Lazer zx5 fs2 12 24.00%
Dex 410v3 6 12.00%
Cat k1 12 24.00%
Wait for new cars after worlds (ie hpi, losi, 410 v4' zx6) 14 28.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-09-2013

Default 4wd driving style - which car?

Looking for 4wd with ability to apply early power out of corners and suiting smooth flowing style.
Was considering Xray xb4- but wonder if its too loose at back with bit of a 2wd drive manner.

Main track is bumpy grass / worn thru grass (other track full astro)
Any views on car 'styles' appreciated
Old 13-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

My XB4 was a little loose on the rear out of the box initially, but I've now tuned that out with a combination of added weight under the gearbox and lipos, the Ralls Racing rear shock tower with the new upper link ball positions, diff oils, drilled 4 hole shock pistons and AE springs. Very happy with it now.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 13-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Saying that and looking at your poll, you need to consider the new Yokomo Bmax4 III, there is a new durango 410 coming, and a bunch of new cars or revisions after the worlds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 13-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What you are describing is the Zx5-FS2sp, so stable and smooth. I am sure anybody with one would be happy to let you have a drive.

Awesome car
Old 13-09-2013

Smile

image.jpg
Thanks
Hadn't considered the Yokomo, is the extra spacing on mid shaft adjacent to the motor and esc normal to bmax?
Or is it so the motor can be moved forward for ?maybe shorty lipo down one side?

Yes others at the club have zx5 and rate it, but its seem it will be replaced soon and newly returning to sport would prefer something a bit fresher for the 4wd.
Old 13-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedsey View Post
Attachment 57567
Thanks
Hadn't considered the Yokomo, is the extra spacing on mid shaft adjacent to the motor and esc normal to bmax?
Or is it so the motor can be moved forward for ?maybe shorty lipo down one side?

Yes others at the club have zx5 and rate it, but its seem it will be replaced soon and newly returning to sport would prefer something a bit fresher for the 4wd.
I do believe the motor mount can be moved into two positions on the chassis, but no idea if its to accommodate a shorty?
I'll be considering one for winter/next year, my BMAX2 has been ace, such a solid car. To be fair the xray is solid as well however, I'm not selling it, but will run it back to back with the yok to fins which I prefer.
Old 13-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I do believe the motor mount can be moved into two positions on the chassis, but no idea if its to accommodate a shorty?
I'll be considering one for winter/next year, my BMAX2 has been ace, such a solid car. To be fair the xray is solid as well however, I'm not selling it, but will run it back to back with the yok to fins which I prefer.

you gonna check out the XB2 when its released as well?

I have an XB4 and love it, so easy to drive and work on, yes the back is a little sloppy out the box on a few tracks, but what you have to remember is that Martin Beyer won the 4wd Euro's with an almost box stock XB4. not many of the other racing teams can say that the cars they were running were box stock.

When i was looking for a 4wd I looked at what came in the box and what were considered essential upgrades and then weighed up the cost of the kits with those upgrades.

had a Dex410 as well and just couldn't get on with it.

as a new driver though a big part of your chouice should be what is everyone at the local track running?
it will help massively with setups and spares if you have the same as everybosy else.
Old 13-09-2013

I had a b44 and changed to a Durango 410 mainly for ease of maintenance ( geared diffs) the Durango has been brilliant but is very edgy to drive, recently I got a Tm2 and I can get it round the track quicker than the 410 so if the new Tm4 is similar it should be even quicker, as the 410 was 1 sec a lap quicker than my 210. I would class myself as a smooth driver and the Tm2 seems suited to this style of driving.Have had Losi bk2, AE b4, X6, Sch Cougar and the 210 was easier to drive for me than these but the Tm2 is at a different level for me.
I haven't driven much else so can't talk about them.
Old 13-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroP View Post
you gonna check out the XB2 when its released as well?
I'll see what they bring out. I imagine it'll be a high traction car only, like all the other 4wd based 2wd cars that are "in" now. In the winter season we run on super slippery low traction tracks, and the yok is ace with the plastic chassis at Batley and York indoors, where as cars like the DB1 style really struggle for grip.
Once the F345's are done, I may try my xb4 in 2wd mode for a laugh.

It's a fair point about the XB4, it does a lot out of the box.
Old 01-10-2013

Default 4wd Car choices after the worlds.......?

For smooth style, for returning driver to go with dex210.

No - cat k1 & dex 410 cat too advanced for me, dex 410 just not sure on that one?
Maybe - xray still like it, hasn't got much supporting in the above poll, might be just a bit to 'loose' for me?
Maybe - Hb d413 looks good, triangular shock braces and insert to arms, seems great ideas
Unsure of hb support in uk and future numbers racing it (setup info), particular when there are so many other 4wd makes available - do I really what a 'different' car just yet?
Centre diff, advice needed from others - would this be good for the bumpy grass track I run on????
No - losi 22.4 would seem to be ideal for bumpy tracks, plus most 2wd at track are the 22, but the triple belt and ball diffs put me off as it seems complex and would need more time/ maintenance than I want to do
No - zx6 thinks it will be ages before its changed and comes out.
Yes? - Yokomo bmax4iii - like this, lovely quality, looks like it drives smoothly and balanced, what do others think about for bumpy tracks and support in uk for it
See new usa and uk distributors recently appointed - big company's
Am I right in assuming stopped selling /supporting it here for a period recently??

So much choice-
Old 01-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedsey View Post
For smooth style, for returning driver to go with dex210.

No - cat k1 & dex 410 cat too advanced for me, dex 410 just not sure on that one?
Maybe - xray still like it, hasn't got much supporting in the above poll, might be just a bit to 'loose' for me?
Maybe - Hb d413 looks good, triangular shock braces and insert to arms, seems great ideas
Unsure of hb support in uk and future numbers racing it (setup info), particular when there are so many other 4wd makes available - do I really what a 'different' car just yet?
Centre diff, advice needed from others - would this be good for the bumpy grass track I run on????
No - losi 22.4 would seem to be ideal for bumpy tracks, plus most 2wd at track are the 22, but the triple belt and ball diffs put me off as it seems complex and would need more time/ maintenance than I want to do
No - zx6 thinks it will be ages before its changed and comes out.
Yes? - Yokomo bmax4iii - like this, lovely quality, looks like it drives smoothly and balanced, what do others think about for bumpy tracks and support in uk for it
See new usa and uk distributors recently appointed - big company's
Am I right in assuming stopped selling /supporting it here for a period recently??

So much choice-
To me it depends weather you are wanting a car that has smooth driving characteristics or a car to compliments a very smooth driving style. This is very different!

For example I see myself as having a smooth driving style, progressive with the throttle, brakes and steering (others may say Im just slow ) so I set my cars up to be pretty aggressive because my style seems to compliment this. When the B44.1 came out I was pretty good with it but see other with the same car or similar style car such as DEX 410 and who really struggle because they are aggressive on the sticks.

A good friend of mine has an aggressive type style and found it tough going with a B44.1. He has moved onto a Cat K1 and his results have drastically improved!

If you prefer smoother cars and with the surface types you mentioned Id go with the Cat K1 or the 22-4. Both designed around the XX4 concept (latter being a modern day replica) they can be pushed VERY hard on bumpy and challenging surfaces as I know the Cat K1 is and the new losi should be! If you are wanting a car to compliment a smooth style then maybe a shaft driven car? But really most of these modern cars can be altered in set up to suit most driving styles.
Old 01-10-2013

Not the K1 I have that and it's twitchy but the 44.2 is a lot smoother and easier to use

My view anyway 44.2
Associated RC10 B4 ( project )
Associated RC10 B4.2 (arrived)
Yokomo Bmax2 ( For Sale )

Orion R10 Pro 160
Orion R10 Pro 90A
Reventon Pro
Radios M12 and Spektrum
Real world car Merc E350 Barge
Old 02-10-2013
oOple Advertiser

when we first got the xb4 we found over rotation an issue hence the range that we now offer for the car, the xb4 has proven to be very solid in all hands wears well and is easy to drive (although a touch aggressive for some hands) and quick enough to make national A finals, although i have voted to wait and see what comes after the worlds, there were 6 proto cars there, at least 3 of these will be realeased in the near future according to reports, i know that as soon as the d413 arrives there will be a solid team running the car and working very hard to find uk base setups for most tracks. the ralls racing section will have its own setup page for the car to provide easy to find info on top of this . if you cant wait for the new ones then grab a second hand bargain to tie you over

Nathan Ralls
Old 02-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralls Racing View Post
when we first got the xb4 we found over rotation an issue hence the range that we now offer for the car, the xb4 has proven to be very solid in all hands wears well and is easy to drive (although a touch aggressive for some hands) and quick enough to make national A finals, although i have voted to wait and see what comes after the worlds, there were 6 proto cars there, at least 3 of these will be realeased in the near future according to reports, i know that as soon as the d413 arrives there will be a solid team running the car and working very hard to find uk base setups for most tracks. the ralls racing section will have its own setup page for the car to provide easy to find info on top of this . if you cant wait for the new ones then grab a second hand bargain to tie you over

Nathan Ralls
does this mean your gonna drop the xb4 and go with the HB nathan?
Old 02-10-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroP View Post
does this mean your gonna drop the xb4 and go with the HB nathan?
Of course as he's actually a HB Team driver
Old 04-10-2013

Interested in this thread to see what the options are as I am myself looking to get into 4wd. Having driven 2wd for the past year or so, and having just moved into 1/8th rallyx, i realize just how easier it is to drive with 4wd! I was also keen on the X-Ray XB4 but the discussion about it losing its rear is a little disconcerting. Yokomo it could be then.
Old 18-10-2013

Default Thanks all - gone for s/h zx5 fs2 sp

From the poll / opinions here as we'll as the experiences of another chap from the club on his 1st run, I've bought a second hand zx5 fs2 sp.

For one of the older current cars it certainly got a lot of votes and it also seem a great balanced place to begin.

The quality, build and small detailing is in another league compared to my dex210.

Time will tell if / when I get seduced by a d413 / b max 4iii or zx6 once more experienced drivers have had time to try and develop.
Old 18-10-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ahh in the end a good choice......but watch those ball joints on the astro, that said from what I have heard the astro track in question is quite smooth with no silly big jumps, so you should be alright,

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117