Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-03-2014
Dazzieboy's Avatar
Dazzieboy Dazzieboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 248
Default

Well it's fully in pieces now. I've ordered some diff grease and OT-110 plate that sits above the motor that was pointed out as missing. I have some yellow ZX5 wheels to go on it then I'm thinking a Marwan TOMS shell and decals as that is the nicest looking mid IMO and it could become my winter indoor car (ZX5 for summer outdoors). That's if my cousin will sell it me for the right price
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-03-2014
OptimaFan's Avatar
OptimaFan OptimaFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. ed View Post
It keeps surprising me why people go through so much effort to identify the 'right' mid. The beauty of the models was their compatibility. You got what you could afford, or was available or thought was best, and then upgraded it as you wished when breaking parts,obtaining funds or on advise of others.
Who cares how it started

I personally think it's nice to know some history of each individual car. Plus the topic-starter did clearly ask to identify it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-03-2014
Dazzieboy's Avatar
Dazzieboy Dazzieboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 248
Default

I agree its nice to know what model you have as some are more special than others. I think with vintage stuff similar rules apply as 1/1 scale so for example an original escort RS2000 will always be worth more than a base model with all the kit on. An ex works rally car with history will be worth more still. I'm quite facinated by ex works rc cars which have ran at big meetings with big name drivers and the subtle one off mods they might be carrying.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 15-03-2014
Dazzieboy's Avatar
Dazzieboy Dazzieboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 248
Default

I spent this week stripping and rebuilding the car. Both diffs have been rebuilt, all bearings relubed and the shocks rebuilt too plus everything has had a clean. I also bought the rear gearbox plate OT-110 and replaced a few of the screws with whatever was in my pitbox. This isn't going to be a shelfer so I wasn't going mad. The wheels are a spare set from my ZX5. I used the Mid Custom Special manual on retromodelisme and everything was the same so I'm convinced that's what I have. I fitted some electrics and gave it a whirl on the back yard, the batteries were cable tied in until I can pick up OTW-9:





It handled pretty well but was dog slow so its either gonna have to be lipos or brushless. I've also decided on a shell and colour scheme, I found this pic on retromodelisme which from the article seems to be some sort of pre-production colour scheme. I prefer this over the standard box art particularly the "roof" on the canopy. Does anyone have any other details on this or other pictures of it in these colours?

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 16-03-2014
OptimaFan's Avatar
OptimaFan OptimaFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 425
Default

If you want to do it with a Special shell, you might want to consider this color scheme as well:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg getuserimage.asp.jpg (99.5 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 16-03-2014
Dazzieboy's Avatar
Dazzieboy Dazzieboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 248
Default

Its nice but its the yellow on silver of the box art that I don't really like. The other colours look so clean, but I can't decide from the image whether its an off white or that it is white but the scan has turned it off white hence why I wanted to see if anyone has any other pics of it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16-03-2014
OptimaFan's Avatar
OptimaFan OptimaFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 425
Default

I think it's white, maybe with a dark backing, but probably looks a little greyish due to the scan.

I have a Custom Special as well, but fitted the other LWB Optima shell to is, as I liked that better:




I re-used the Custom Special shell as testing shell for another Optima Mid project.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16-03-2014
Dazzieboy's Avatar
Dazzieboy Dazzieboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 248
Default

I do like the TOMS shell too. I wedged a shortie lipo in the chassis today and it injected some much needed speed into it although the esc and motor got a bit warm. I was pretty impressed with the handling, it should make a good indoor car
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 16-03-2014
OptimaFan's Avatar
OptimaFan OptimaFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 425
Default

The LWB and SWB mid handle great imho. It's a pretty well balanced chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 17-03-2014
DanB4's Avatar
DanB4 DanB4 is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Muscat, Oman
Posts: 1,564
Default

Funny I was having this conversation recently.

I think it's white but Kyosho usually made their box art and catalogue shell windows matte black and in this case I think they've done matte white which makes it almost look pearlescant.

Dan

__________________
Much-More Racing (UK)
www.muchmoreracing.com
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-04-2014
Dazzieboy's Avatar
Dazzieboy Dazzieboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 248
Default

Mini update! my Marwan repro shell undertray and wing turned up today
Just gotta decide whether to have a go at painting it myself or get it painted
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com