Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 12-08-2015
Mad Member

Stu, I run -12% on a Futaba - in other words, the expo is set to make it less sensitive as you come off centre. I find this works well for fast sweepers and high-speed infield corners.

I didn't ask about your pod length as this is family forum!

I run the short configuration which works everywhere and gives more rotation in the corners. HTH
Old 12-08-2015

interesting to know... I have fiddled with the expo and have gone from -20 to +5 currently. I have looked back over my "down the straight correction"
Unless I am not seeing something, I see very little correction...

I definitely used to make my steering less sensitive but I have gone the other way now, I don't like big stick movements and prefer the sensitivity, would be interesting to know where the likes of Mark Stiles and Co have their expo.

Feeding the throttle a little more into and out of the corners with less big changes of throttle which should really keep the heat down on the motor. Will monitor. The good thing with Maritime, the tack stays the same for six weeks which helps to see improvements...
Old 12-08-2015

Maritime Rules..........

Except for the steps.......... plays havoc with my knee's
Old 12-08-2015

You'll be missed tomorrow!!
Bin the holiday, come racing!
Old 12-08-2015

if only
Old 13-08-2015

Is the Hobbwing 3.1v still the best out there? Or is there something new coming out before the winter series? I have a Toro 1s, will I notice a difference if I change?

Best Wishes
Stu
Old 13-08-2015

Default Toro or Hobbywing or G-Force

From what I have gathered they are all effectively the same, there may be some component differences that deliver a lower/higher cost but it is the software that everyone says is different and yes there are differences in the setup protocols but what they do in terms of performance no one has really nailed any convincing argument either way, well not that I have seen to date.

I have the Hobbywing in my SSGT and RSGT and the Toro in my CRC Gen10X SE, sad thing is I have yet to race the latter two but that all starts in September after my holiday.

So Stu, perhaps save that 'upgrade?' until someone can deliver a convincing demonstration of any differences, from the comments about your driving style though, then there is probably more to be gained there than any ESC change.
Old 13-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucartwright View Post
interesting to know... I have fiddled with the expo and have gone from -20 to +5 currently. I have looked back over my "down the straight correction"
Unless I am not seeing something, I see very little correction....
Took another look. Noticed it in the first couple of laps but then I think it's the effect of the wide angle lens after that.

www.ModelCarParties.co.uk - Radio Controlled Car Racing Events - Kids Parties, Fetes, Exhibitions etc

www.ElliottsDrivingSchool.co.uk - driving lessons, trailer training, young driving experience (14+). Areas covered include - Huntingdon, Cambridge, Peterborough, Bedford and surrounding towns / villages.
Old 13-08-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
From what I have gathered they are all effectively the same, there may be some component differences that deliver a lower/higher cost but it is the software that everyone says is different and yes there are differences in the setup protocols but what they do in terms of performance no one has really nailed any convincing argument either way, well not that I have seen to date.

I have the Hobbywing in my SSGT and RSGT and the Toro in my CRC Gen10X SE, sad thing is I have yet to race the latter two but that all starts in September after my holiday.

So Stu, perhaps save that 'upgrade?' until someone can deliver a convincing demonstration of any differences, from the comments about your driving style though, then there is probably more to be gained there than any ESC change.
They may look similar but they at totally different internally, the software is different but the bueaty of blinky it can only give the same performance, though the programming for punch etc can give different feels.

Skyrc makes the toro and the gforce which re identical. Both from the same factory,
As you point out Stuart can Gian far more by adapting his driving style, rather than changing gear or cars, I'm pretty sure I suggested it at the beginning of the thread....aggressive driving in this class is slow and costly in heat build up and loss of volts.
And yes I speak from experience I used to be aggressive and overdriv, this class taught me not too which improved me in other classes too.

Last edited by mark christopher; 13-08-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 14-08-2015

Maritime report...
Another awesome night down at the Dockyard on Chatham.. New track is fantastic, going anti clockwise I thought prove a slightly more difficult skill as I've always seemed to go clockwise, but it was fine.

I got moved up to the intermediate heats and won my first two races!! Wowzer, was dead chuffed, beating some serious regular A Finalists. Wheel failure in the third heat, saw me qualify for my second A Final in week... Heady heights for me, so I was totally thrilled. 9th on the grid out of 10 cars, finishing 6th, not a bad showing.

Now, tyre truing.... I purchased one with my newbie pal, and I have to say it was quite a bit of rushing around at all the bits and bobs for it but there was a definite difference in the cars handling which has to have made a difference. The Zen once again came up trumps, adjusting the ride height on the from of the car in no more than 30 seconds in total and the rear end in no more than a minute. Fantastic I'd say, another point chalked up for the Zen over the SSGT in MY opinion.

Thursday nights have become a day of the week that I look forward to more than any other, long may THAT continue.... (Not bad for a bloke who can't build a car and can't drive....) ;-)
Old 14-08-2015

Thanks for the insight into the esc's Mark, I've never opened any of mine to look inside and what you say probably explains the cost difference with I suspect the Hobbywing being of better overall quality, I have no complaints I must say.

I did see Stu that you have put your Toro up for sale, no holding you back!!!

Mark, your comments on over aggressive driving also strikes a chord with me, I have yet to calm my style but I am a very old dog now so new tricks do take that bit longer to materialise, if they ever do!
Old 14-08-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

As soon as you tell someone they need to look at their driving, which will also aid car set up, they normally take the huff and spend more money
Old 15-08-2015

Interesting thoughts RacingBen and XRAcer... And I certainly will keep chipping away at the driving of course, and I'm sure us three agree, improving ones driving is a lifetimes works... I am very fortunate to be able to afford keep spending out on new stuff, so why not, I work hard all week for it!

All the gear and no idea I say!! Haha

Have a good weekend chaps.
Old 15-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucartwright View Post
All the gear and no idea I say!! Haha
That's not you, that's my crown..........
Old 15-08-2015

Nooooo no no no Sam
I can't drive, build cars or drive but have all the gear!!
Definitely my mantel
Old 15-08-2015

Default Buying to win!

Well chaps if we are fortunate enough to be able to start off by obtaining the 'right' gear and that is always a mute point on it's own, then the results are down to how we setup our chosen beast, again there are often many opinions on that too, then once we've cracked that, it is then solely down to how we manage to control our over zealous eagerness to hopefully out race those that we may never ever be able to match, purely because of natures gift to those few!

Ah such is the life of competitive hobbies, one golden rule I have learnt through my 40 plus years of 'toy' racing cars, recognise your level of ability, always try to improve but most of all, always enjoy what you are fortunate enough to do at whatever level you are at!

A fortune can never buy natural ability, it will allow you to practice and improve and hopefully occasionally win but champions are usually born or are very, very lucky!

Here endeth my sermon
Old 15-08-2015

LOL.....Xracer........I know my level of ability, it normally hovers somewhere about the bottom of the pile.
Owing to the fact i have a short circuit in the connection between the thumbs, brain and eyes.............
Old 15-08-2015

I put a post here in the on road section a while ago about 'quicker is not always faster' i.e a quicker car will not always provide faster lap. Mark quite correctly said quicker is always faster as in the term. I was relating to newbies myself included jumping into TC with a boosted 13.5t and being beaten regularly by a blinky 17.5t. All the drivers are now faster and run 17.5t, myself included it seems a slower car will teach you to carry corner speed better than driving a fast car slow!!! try it (I still like the gadgets though so all the gear running steadily!!!)
Old 15-08-2015

As usual lots of interesting points of view. I don't wholeheartedly subscribe to talent is given at birth, many opinions point towards a 10,000 hour rule (Eeek) some pitch it toward a mindset and some advise practice regimes... Take your pick.

Understand, apply and practice with a dash of determination and see what happens. I don't believe anybody can get to a high level without having a car that gives them a chance to grow as a driver which has been discussed at great length in this forum. If you think about it, the speed of the car is only as valid as how much the car can handle in its setting which is embraced by the drivers skill in getting the car around the track. Its not one ingredient that wins over all, to coin a phrase, it's an "aggregation of marginal gains" (who said that?!) haha...

What I do know from being someone who has researched performance to elite level, most at that level don't know what they do to get the results they achieve, and it's the so called officianardos that proclaim they have all the answers that always seem to harp up to give advice, very interesting....

Anyhow, much debate inspires much thought, with flexibility in our thoughts we are all sure to learn, enjoy and leave with a big fat smile on the journey this great hobby brings.

All the best
Stuart
Old 16-08-2015
Mad Member

Talent, yes absolutely. Set-up is a limitation - no, absolutely...

A guy called David Hobbs drove for the BMW team in the US IMSA series. BMW had a regime of inviting a star driver to partner a team driver at each race. In Watkins Glen, Hobbs was partnered with Ronnie Peterson. Hobbs offered Peterson the practice session to sort the car our to his liking (Peterson was a driving God at the time) but Ronnie said that David was the guy running the series and he should set the car up.

By Hobbs own admission, he wanted to impress Peterson, so he worked really hard on the set up and turned a really good practice time. Come qualifying, Hobbs was in the top three and turned the car over to Peterson... who promptly took over 1.5 seconds off Hobbs time in a car he'd never sat in before!

You are either born with it or you're not, and you either know what to do with it or you don't. The 10,000 hour theory has been regularly de-bunked, and it is especially not true where there are limited 'rules' to practice to - like rock and roll, art, racing, etc.

I've had my car in the hands of National Champion Andy Griffiths and he took a second (in 13) off my lap time on his third lap after a small adjustment to the steering throw. You've either got it or you haven't...!!