Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Norfolk Buggy Club

Old 03-10-2013

Default The green mobile

Just sprayed my new Kyosho body. I think you'll need sunglasses while looking at it!

Old 03-10-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

mother of green, thats, well GREEN, must have taken some masking

but in truth solid bright paint works best!

You shall now be called the HULK on track

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 04-10-2013

Looking good simon.
Let us know how you get on.
Andrew
Old 07-10-2013

Thanks Andrew.

Well I raced it at Coastal on Sunday. With awesome help from Carl and Simon thank you to the both of them. We were able to set it up correctly. Now it is a flying machine - OMFG, it sticks to the track like glue!

My first 3 races were not great, grip rolling, turning in too much etc etc. Fastest time was 11 laps (which was equal to my best time with my Losi 2wd). Then by the final, 4th race it was like driving a different car. Almost got 13 laps like another 2 seconds and I'd would of had 13. Most of the top drivers are getting 13 laps (not that I am a top driver, shows how good the car can be ). I was getting 23 second laps with it. That is 1 second off the pace. What an awesome car.

Sadly, on the second final, I was getting a clicking, and it got louder and louder. Turns out the rear drive train is toast due to the instruction manual incorrectly specifying the number of shims needed for the rear diff. I guess the manual does not work on high grip surfaces. So new gears are on order!

Finished with trusty old Losi - never fails me and won the C with it after a bad start.

Simon
Old 07-10-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

shimming the diff, the dark art of back lash, it's something you have to get the hang of because it's not a set in stone for every car, thus why the manual can seem a little sketchy, you need to get a feel for it, and it will need to be kept an eye on as back lash will change as the car is run in after 1st build, then again if you have to replace the pinion or main gear. astro is the devil to shaft drive and the power we can put to them,also the size of the jumps the landing can be very hard on the drive train! a little slipper adjustment can help protect the drive train, but even then I have stripped a set of gears at three regionals this year the main spares I car for the ZX5 are front shock towers and gearbox housings and at least 2x sets of diff gears it's not just kyosho, the xray can be very susceptible to gears stripping to. But in my opinion it's one of the biggest challenges to 10th 4wd cars now belt or shaft the shear amount of power we are trying to put through the transmission on high grip like astro.

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 07-10-2013

You're right, the sheer amount of power we put through these cars is quite staggering. The track at Costal is full power, brakes, full power, brakes. So it takes it's toll on the transmission like you say. Not many jumps though.

I first started hearing a clicking after braking really hard at the end of the straight prior to the transmission becoming completely knackered.

Why do you stock the transmission housing?

The new Losi 4WD might be worth considering when released this year.

Dave how do you adjust the slipper without taking the top deck off, small spanner? The spanner supplied in the kit is not easy to use.
Old 07-10-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the gearbox housing, front shock stay and camber link plates all come on one sprue, and this can be quite handy as the tower and the stay (bit that bolts on top of the gearbox housing) can both go in a big impact, The tower can get a crack quite easily if you just get a landing wrong. Also it can be easy to strip the threds out of the camber link plate so having the lot in one bag can be a good thing
Astro is great fun as it's just so quick,But very very unforgiving to 4wds if you get things a bit wrong.also as you say, breaking is very hard on the working parts

Yep, I have a small draper spanner that just fits in onto the slipper nut, then I can just turn wheels to adjust.....if that makes sense. worth getting one as it's so easy with one.

wanted to come on sunday, but was supposed to be going to my wifes mums birthday party.... but then thomas came of his BMX big style just before, so I spent sunday afternoon at the N&N accident and emergency with him instead

good to hear simon and carl were giving you a hand

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 08-10-2013

I hope your son is ok after a nasty fall on the BMX. My son has a BMX and they are quite heavy, he is only 5 and it can hurt when they fall.

It was completely different driving the Losi after the Kyosho, took me a couple laps to adapt to it again. The Kyosho just doesn't require half the amount of driving skill as the Losi even on astro. The Kyosho is very forgiving in terms of losing control by applying too much power. It literally just sticks to the track when setup right. As I said, my first 3 races we're crap, it was a very difficult car to drive, after that though, very impressive.

I plan to race in the regionals next year not sure which though 2wd or 4wd. They are both very fun and different cars.

Cheers
Simon
Old 08-10-2013

Default zx5

just wasn't sure what 4wd to buy.

so have jump in and bought a s/h zx5 to get me started.

still like the look of the bmax4iii though.

Andrew
Old 09-10-2013

I like the Yokomo's. I used to have the YZ10 Dogfighter that I raced as a child. Then upgraded it to the YZ10 super dogfighter released in 1994 I think it was. Belt drive.

Depending on how desperate you are for a 4wd buggy, you might want to hold out for the new Losi 4WD about to hit the market later this year I think. Kyosho is also developing a new car ZX6 - not sure when this will be released though. The ZX6 seems to have a aluminium chassis as does the Losi 4WD and the motor configuration is similar to the Yokomo's Team Associated B44.

I will consider the Losi when released just because I love the 22 so much

Simon
Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedsey View Post
just wasn't sure what 4wd to buy.

so have jump in and bought a s/h zx5 to get me started.

still like the look of the bmax4iii though.

Andrew
I read your message wrong, it's the jetlag, just arrived in Seattle

Which ZX5 did you get?
Old 09-10-2013

Smile

simon
i believe its a fs2 sp, although the box just says fs.- I'm not aware of the different models.
i will see when it turns up

do you know what pinion is needed for 6.5 turn, or a 5.5 turn???

hope it proves to be familar ground, back in the day my last car was a kyosho optima mid custom special.

how many events are the regionals you mention - could be up for that.

A
Old 09-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:

A
This year there were 7 meetings, 2wd, 4wd & Short Course Trucks all run on the same day.

Not sure about next years series yet, but I wouldn't think it will be too different although the region has been growing fast over the last few years since the dark times of '09.

To back a few posts, if your worried about gears not taking the pounding of modern motors and LiPos, get a Durango, mine has the same gears in it came with 4 years ago, shimmed as kit
Old 09-10-2013

I think maybe loosing the slipper would help. John, do you run your slipper looser on astro? I set mine as per the manual. Perhaps it's too tight.

Are the Durango gears metal?

Simon
Old 09-10-2013
Mad Member

I never touch my slipper apart from rebuilds, doesn't matter if the track is grass or astro.

On my Durango it's set a touch looser then the kit setting, as I found that was too vicious for me on the bumpy grass track I first ran it on, that setting has worked fine everywhere so far. All gears bar the spur are metal.

My XB4 has the slippper set at the looser end of the revised settings they give now, but that has still munched it's way through a lot of gears in the middle of the regionals

Wasn't just me either, Rob York was so hacked off with his, he sold it the day after the series finished

The gears that come with it are plastic, I've got metal diff internals now to stop them melting. Tracks like Coastal or Stotfold it's fine, ones with big fast jumps like ARC or Boughton, or mega grip like Herts & it'll be a set a day, which is why I switched back to the Durango for the last regional at Boughton, just knew I wouldn't have to fix it that day.

Don't go too loose on the slipper though, one it makes the car slower & odd to drive. Two you can melt out the middle of the spur as the slipping gets too hot.

The new TLR 22-4 (crap name), looks good, the XX4 was mega, but at the Worlds it broke a lot & didn't like the high grip too much from the reports, need to see what it's like on astro first.
Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
simon
i believe its a fs2 sp, although the box just says fs.- I'm not aware of the different models.
i will see when it turns up

do you know what pinion is needed for 6.5 turn, or a 5.5 turn???

hope it proves to be familar ground, back in the day my last car was a kyosho optima mid custom special.

A
The SP has the big bore shocks (gold in colour), tungsten diff balls, alu battery posts and a bit of bling on some other alu parts.

I have a gear chart I created at home for the Lazer. Will send it to you. I think I am running a 22 pinion that gives me around 8:1 gear ratio for my 6.5T motor. Plenty of pick up and speed. I will play around with boost next time to give me some turbo down the straight - assuming the gears hold up! If the gears go again, I will sell it and buy something else - poss the Losi. Not sure about Durango, I guess I need to drive one first. I can't find any hop ups for the gears either.

Simon
Old 10-10-2013

yes its sp model with big bore shocks and same body shell as green picture.
Havent got it yet, next job will be trying to get the old 40mhz receiver shoe horned in.
From simons 1st experience, watching ones at the club and oople member views on it / advise on getting same as others at club - seemed the one to get - cant wait to give it a blast.
Where stock spares for this???
? front towers and gears need to kept - not quite sure just which ones though.
A
Old 11-10-2013

You certainly will not be disappointed in the way it drives - for sure! I love it's handling. Will have to see how it eats gears at future meets.

You might struggle to get a large receiver in the car depending on how big your ESC is. I did not have a lot of room after I put all my electronics in.

I have decided, I will race 4wd at the regionals next year. Just really liking the 4wd right now.

Simon
Old 14-10-2013

It seems no-one in the UK has the Lazer ZX 5 gear set in stock. I had to order one from MB models and sounds like it will take a good couple of weeks to show-up.

I guess will have to race the 2wd in the mean time.

Simon
Old 14-10-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

hmm, did you check at inside line? showing 5 in stock
http://insidelineracing.co.uk/new-pr...f0d9db-details

top chap and will be with you next day

Flask of tea & a rollup