Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 15-12-2008

Thumbs up Feelings & note about B-Max after Two races

I've to said that the car impressed me a lot! I was driving the BX before and even if the carbon look was cool, i love the new B-Max 4 by its wonderfull simple way to drive it fast.

for the moment i use the Euro Set up for the both race. The first race was bumpy clay low grip and the second was inddor race Mid Carpet Mid tartan. i also train on our outside track on carpet. Always the same set up and the car always very easy to drive and fast.

I cut a little the bit the inside of the front knuckles that was limiting the steering travel. Check it you will find where to cut.

The first time i mount the car it was at the hotel, during the night, just before racing a french national so i miss some set up parts. The slipper adjustment is an important one i miss. The result was that my differential were completely dead after the race. so don't miss that part.

I also notice that the diff balls and diff rings are compatible with MR4-BX.

Guys, what do you notice after your B-Max esperience?

Check my yokomo blog :

http://yokomo.blogspot.com

Old 15-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedworm View Post
The first time i mount the car it was at the hotel
Well, I like the car but not THAT much (mount has a double entendre in English).

I have only raced it twice on indoor off-road tracks. I am really impressed with the quality, durability and the fundamental ride and handling of it. But I have learned two things...

1. Run the transmission tight - let it bed in. Don't make the mistake I did and run it loose or you will kill the bevel gears.

2. Kit settings let the car roll a bit too much for UK tracks/tyres IMHO. Running the rear bar and the front shocks on the outer wishbone hole has made the car a lot more consistent.

Despite my share of crashes the only parts of the car that have been damaged are the front shock mounting screws which stick out a bit and take all the impacts. If anyone has a good tip for protecting them let me know...
Old 15-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've done a few wishbones, front shock tower and gearbox case!! It does seem pretty strong though, it's survived some hard hits!

Speedwise I'm finding it faster than the Bx everywhere, but so far have had oversteer no matter what setup, I'm down to pink rear springs now, 1.4 rear roll bar. Have only run Lipo so don't know if it's that or something else!?

So overall, very fast, very smooth on bumps/jumps, just this oversteer to sort out!!
Old 15-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
I've done a few wishbones, front shock tower and gearbox case!! It does seem pretty strong though, it's survived some hard hits!

Speedwise I'm finding it faster than the Bx everywhere, but so far have had oversteer no matter what setup, I'm down to pink rear springs now, 1.4 rear roll bar. Have only run Lipo so don't know if it's that or something else!?

So overall, very fast, very smooth on bumps/jumps, just this oversteer to sort out!!
I don't rate LiPo in rear-saddle cars personally but I know a lot of people have made the change. Some like the extra steering it creates, others have gone a fair bit softer on the rear to get the balance back.

As for your setup - 1.4 is a pretty heavy bar, in my experience (not that it is worth much) a bar like that on a buggy can make the car do some funny things over the bumps and the jump approaches. If I run a bar I normally make it soft enough that I don't "feel" the bar when driving (if you can get your head around what I mean).

If you haven't done so already, try the front shocks on the outer hole of the wishbone with the black springs. I have also tried running an AE blue spring on the front, in the inner wishbone hole, that also helps with the oversteer although perhaps not quite as effective. The "issue" (if it is one) with running on the outer hole is that you lose quite a lot of droop, it takes away a bit of that silky-smooth ride quality the car has, but makes it a bit more chuckable on the smooth stuff. I might try and combine the kit setting with a front bar at some point.

Also I am a bit worried by your breakages list! Either you are a brutal driver or I have been very lucky! All the parts seem nice and chunky to me and are made of a relatively flexible composite.
Old 15-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
I don't rate LiPo in rear-saddle cars personally but I know a lot of people have made the change. Some like the extra steering it creates, others have gone a fair bit softer on the rear to get the balance back.

As for your setup - 1.4 is a pretty heavy bar, in my experience (not that it is worth much) a bar like that on a buggy can make the car do some funny things over the bumps and the jump approaches. If I run a bar I normally make it soft enough that I don't "feel" the bar when driving (if you can get your head around what I mean).

If you haven't done so already, try the front shocks on the outer hole of the wishbone with the black springs. I have also tried running an AE blue spring on the front, in the inner wishbone hole, that also helps with the oversteer although perhaps not quite as effective. The "issue" (if it is one) with running on the outer hole is that you lose quite a lot of droop, it takes away a bit of that silky-smooth ride quality the car has, but makes it a bit more chuckable on the smooth stuff. I might try and combine the kit setting with a front bar at some point.

Also I am a bit worried by your breakages list! Either you are a brutal driver or I have been very lucky! All the parts seem nice and chunky to me and are made of a relatively flexible composite.
Breakages were odd. Firstly shock tower was a high speed roll where the shock screw dug in, it broke the gearbox top too though which surprised me!

Wishbones I thought were a problem, one wasn't even a crash, it was a soft landing off a small jump where one front wheel landed first and it just snapped! Since then though I've had heavy hits which didn't break them, so think I was just unlucky!
Old 16-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Setups wise, I am running 1.2 front bar and black springs, inside hole on wishbone.

I know 1.4 is heavy for the rear, but I am deliberately being a little aggressive setup wise at the moment to "chase" rear grip, and will come back to a more conservative approach later on. It's not making it noticably worse over 90% of bumps anyway though.

Pink rear springs feels about right with Lipo on low grip surfaces, but is just too soft on carpet. At the front even black springs feels a little soft for carpet, but is more than enough on low grip stuff.

Camber I'm a bit odd (as per other thread) but generally an running a little less on the Bmax than on other cars, especially at the front.

The other thing I am trying next time is comparing preglued revlites to Bmax wheels. I think the front is a little narrower with revlites, now I have scrubbed some in will do some back to back running with kit wheels and see what the effect is. Would love to end up with the preglueds though!

Question: how are other people running the slipper/diffs? I run my slipper tight as always, this could contribute to my lack of rear end? My diffs are as they come, in my case about "medium", no slip but looser than I usually run buggies (I usually like to induce wheelspin as part of my driving style, never had a car do it anyway like the Bmax!).
Old 16-12-2008

Well i'm happy with my bmax so far, have run it at 3 meets and although i've managed to break a front arm and destroy the rear diff gears i rekon the car is pretty strong, it sure weights a tonne, that said i agree if your running the car with any real power stick to the tighter of the two gear meshes and just let the car run in, i ran mine in the looser setting for two meetings before it stripped the rear gearset.
Peter
Old 16-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Despite my share of crashes the only parts of the car that have been damaged are the front shock mounting screws which stick out a bit and take all the impacts. If anyone has a good tip for protecting them let me know...
Small strip of lexan with a hole at either end. First hole is placed over screw before going through tower, strip looped (just) over shock end with second hole held on by shock retaining nut.
Does provide some impact protection when landing upside down, but more importantly stops shock tower digging in while scraping along upside down. Especially useful to stop digging in carpet.
Old 16-12-2008

I've only raced mine once so far, at the MK GP.

Broke two front wishbones, one was a big crash off the main jump (would have broken most cars I reckon). The other was more concerning though, clipped a track marker at (very) low speed.

Both times it broke at the same point, around the inner hinge pin. The material does look very thin there, despite the fact that it covers the length of the hinge pin.

Apart from this, I've liked what I've seen so far...
Old 16-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesty View Post

Broke two front wishbones, one was a big crash off the main jump (would have broken most cars I reckon). The other was more concerning though, clipped a track marker at (very) low speed.

Both times it broke at the same point, around the inner hinge pin. The material does look very thin there, despite the fact that it covers the length of the hinge pin.

Both mine went at that spot too, and were also small impacts. Maybe at some point they'll do a graphite version?

It seems to depend on angle, I've had some harder hits where it's survived fine!

Dave
Old 16-12-2008

I've only broke the front shocks support during a training against a piece of wood. no other brake. I also think that kit dif balls and rings are lower quality than BX parts.

Concerning the gears, i've no problem stil now. I tight all the screw to the max and from this point i loose them from a half lap. Then the transmission, especially the rear, is free.

Check my yokomo blog :

http://yokomo.blogspot.com

Old 16-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesty View Post

Have those of you breaking wishbones at this point shimmed the hinge pin? I have, in my experience it tends to stop some of these breakages because the arm has less free play to twist around in.
Old 16-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yep, all shimmed up!
Old 19-12-2008

I mounted the car many time, on the table, I don't feel confident enough to get it to bed right now...

Well, I didn't brake anything, but the slipper is really thigh and the diffs get loose to quickly for my like. I've a lot of work to do with the shocks, I still think they are tooooooooooo soft.

GO FOR 'EM DOGBERT!!

Please visit:
WATT RC CARS

http://www.oople.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=562&dateline=12565680  10