Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 07-06-2009

Default Slippy slipper

Hi guy's, hope someone can help. I've just built a XXX4G+ and can't seem to tighten the slipper properly. No matter what I do it slips almost all the time while running and I can slip the spur by hand when rotating the spur with the wheels locked out... Now I've tightened it up so much I've stripped the threads on the flange... Is there something 'classic' I'm doing wrong or am I just being hamfisted?

I assume that it should be possible to tigten the slipper sufficiently 'by hand' for it to work ok - is that right? The flange and wrench are so narrow it would be pretty difficult to really torque it up hard with it in the car anyway.

Help!
Old 08-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentmaster View Post
Hi guy's, hope someone can help. I've just built a XXX4G+ and can't seem to tighten the slipper properly. No matter what I do it slips almost all the time while running and I can slip the spur by hand when rotating the spur with the wheels locked out... Now I've tightened it up so much I've stripped the threads on the flange... Is there something 'classic' I'm doing wrong or am I just being hamfisted?

I assume that it should be possible to tigten the slipper sufficiently 'by hand' for it to work ok - is that right? The flange and wrench are so narrow it would be pretty difficult to really torque it up hard with it in the car anyway.

Help!
Seeing as no-one else has replied i thought i would.

I remember when we got these many moons ago, there were some slippers that simple would not tightern up enough. We ended up glueing them in order to get them working. I know the rest of the team just used to try another slipper assembly, but obviously that can get a bit costly. Apart from that im afraid i cant really help you on that front.

I'll ask about if no one else replies and ill see what i can come up with for you.

Danny
Old 08-06-2009

Thanks for the reply Danny.

I think the flange may not have threaded 'true' into the hub as it never seemed to sit completely flat against the hub. Its completely stripped now (a result of trying to tighten it up so much) so I've ordered new parts from DMS - but it's a bit of a shame, I don't know whether it was me or the parts so I hope it doesnt happen again... Cheers.
Old 11-06-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

You have to get the order of the shims and washers in exactly the right order, tensioning was always add threadlock and tighen as much as possible for me. It never wore out anyway

Nortech is ACE!