Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 03-09-2009

Default How's your stiffness?

Hey guys.

With the new plastic X6 chassis now out, I'm keen to know what 'stiffness' setup people are running as there are all manner of combinations now available.

In particular I've noticed a few people running without the motor plate anchored to the chassis. Pretty sure Tom's car ran like this at the Robin Hood race, along with the plastic chassis. This would be the 'flexiest' setting available.

So, what are people running and does anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers,
Scott
Old 03-09-2009

I always run with my motor plate anchored here in the states. I tried the Kinwald brace last weekend with good results.
Old 03-09-2009
Mad Member

There you go. Couple Kory's post above with Lee's post on the plastic chassis thread: it's a tuning option. At some tracks, for some drivers, flexy is best. At other tracks for other drivers, stiff is fast. With X Factory, you can have either or both.

There is a discussion on the Team right now relative to our porposed new 4WD car. Our buggy and truck offer more tuning options than any other company. People don't talk much about it, but changing tranny height makes huge differences in the car. Nobody else has that.

Some see the myriad of tuning options as a big plus. You can dial your car in perfectly to each day's conditions, and it's fun Doing The Math. Others say it's actually a disadvantage, that with too many options people get screwed up.

That last thing is sometimes valid, so we recently come out with new Kit standard set ups -- start there and you'll be fast.

Right now on the Team, the real question is not flexy or stiff, it's lots of options or few. I'm actually just one small voice on the Team -- Paul's is much bigger on these things than mine -- but I like lots of options + a standard set-up that works most places. That way you can work on set-up to your heart's content or not. Me? I never change my truck, just throw down and have fun wherever I go.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 03-09-2009
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post

People don't talk much about it, but changing tranny height makes huge differences in the car. Nobody else has that.

schumacher have this option
Old 03-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Its all well and good having loads of tuning options, but no where does it tell you that to get somewhere near to an optimum setup with a squared you need about £70 worth of brass weight in the car

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 03-09-2009
Admin

I'm sure lead weights would work equally well for a fraction of the cost, they just would not look as nice
Old 03-09-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
schumacher have this option
Chazz stated this was on our "buggy and truck" with "buggy" meaning 2wd in the states, Schumacher do not "currently" make a 2wd....
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 03-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I'm sure lead weights would work equally well for a fraction of the cost, they just would not look as nice
I couldnt afford the lead weights....had to fork out for a set of rare as f00k CVD's for the car. Didnt see that in the manual either I dont think

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 03-09-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
Its all well and good having loads of tuning options, but no where does it tell you that to get somewhere near to an optimum setup with a squared you need about £70 worth of brass weight in the car
What Oscar said basically (beat me to it) you dont "have" to have fancy brass weights, but the results from the nationals showed that a heavy car is beneficial with Ellis and Phil 1 and 2 in the series and Tom dominating the last round...all cars were heavy, which can be achieved with lead plate/weights if required.

As for the long axles, they are only rare if people insist on searching for "old" Losi ones. they are an X-Factory part now and have been for 9 months and readily available from any X-Factory UK dealer.

If somthing is not in the "manual" does that mean it cannot or should not be done. There are LOTS of hop ups in all manufactueres cars that are not in manuals. (Cat SX rear shock mod, B4 new shock holes etc) these are all the developments "after" a kit is released (and manual written) that come out to advance a particular car (regardless of make). Surely that is why sites like this on t'internet are so useful for the most up to date help and advise. Coming from Micros Cris I thought you would undertsand this better than most, almost NOTHING is in the manual for the Mini cars that is any help for racing in the UK, but sites like your very own are invaluable to people looking to setup the car etc
Old 03-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to millzy

Quote:
I couldnt afford the lead weights....had to fork out for a set of rare as f00k CVD's for the car. Didnt see that in the manual either I dont think
BENT

OVER

AND

HAD

LOL
Old 03-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzy View Post
BENT

OVER

AND

HAD

LOL
Lol!!

I think its great what X-Factory have done in the UK, but when I spent my hard hard earnt pennies on one of the first X6^2'd out I was abit narked to find that not only would I need to then hunt for some CVD bones, but also that my car handled like a dog without half a tonne of metal slapped onto the chassis.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 03-09-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Lol!!

I think its great what X-Factory have done in the UK, but when I spent my hard hard earnt pennies on one of the first X6^2'd out I was abit narked to find that not only would I need to then hunt for some CVD bones, but also that my car handled like a dog without half a tonne of metal slapped onto the chassis.
I asuume you mean axles Cris, (the bones are standard B4 ones).

All our dealers carry the axles, they are as common as any other R/C part for any popular buggy out there.

As far as weight goes EVERY single FAST car on the track at the moment is laden with brass or lead (X6, B4, B44, Cat all included) this is not unique to our car, it is common across the board, mainly due to the introduction of "LIPO/Brushless" that we ran for the first time this year from April (car was released in February remember before this "power" combo had ever been run)
Old 03-09-2009
Mad Member

The B4 and S2 (maybe Losi and Kyosho too) are a lot lighter than the X-6, not every car needs weight to be fast

Old 03-09-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rossi View Post
The B4 and S2 (maybe Losi and Kyosho too) are a lot lighter than the X-6, not every car needs weight to be fast
I think we will all find failry sizeable lumps of brass/weight in the battery strap and front bulkhead areas (amnongst others) on all of the cars you mention over here in the UK and I dont believe it was any of them that won four nationals and a one-two in the series, so is to add weight right or wrong if it is the car that is winning....
Old 03-09-2009
Lee-Mag

You can't argue with that can you, the results don't lie

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 03-09-2009
Mad Member

While I totally agree with what Darren has already said, there has been atleast one occasion this year where an X6 with no weight has been the quickest thing out there.

Mark Stanley proved at Southport that it is possible to go quick with the standard un-weight'd set-up. It might be worth sending him a PM and getting his set-up. I know he ran a non-squared car but the set-up will be very very similar on the ²'d.

The main reason we all opted to weight up the car was to take advantage of all the set-up knowledge that Ellis had from previous years when running Nimh's. Over time the team might refine a UK set-up for a non-weight'd car, but this all takes hours of testing which simply isn't available during the busy Summer season.
Old 03-09-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Quote:
Lol!!

Well and now is your car Slovak national champ car for year 2009
I just had to buy some fishing ball leads which had meeting with my hammer
I also used some wheel balancing leads that I use also on my TC one 50g cut into halves and some smaller - can't remember now how many and which.
Old 03-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS Racing View Post
I think we will all find failry sizeable lumps of brass/weight in the battery strap and front bulkhead areas (amnongst others) on all of the cars you mention over here in the UK and I dont believe it was any of them that won four nationals and a one-two in the series, so is to add weight right or wrong if it is the car that is winning....
True, results don't lie, I'll buy a B4 and a B44 then, and win the Worlds in 2011.

Old 03-09-2009

I am currently running the new US buggy setup. We use almost no weights here in the States. I had my buggy with all the weight and it handled good. For me it just seemed a little slow on the acceleration because of the weight. This new US setup I tried worked great last weekend. I TQ'd but finished second in the main. I made a few tweeks to the setup (moved rear hub back and front shock to inner hole on the arm) and the car rotated and got up to speed quickly. It was by far the best car there but my driving left me. Give this setup a try and see how it works. Try this setup and if it pushes make the changes I mentioned above.
http://www.xfactoryrc.com/rc/pdfs/Se...-2009-X6Sq.pdf
Old 03-09-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rossi View Post
True, results don't lie, I'll buy a B4 and a B44 then, and win the Worlds in 2011.
Good luck with that then.............
Since I am not going to the worlds and only race here in the UK I will stick with the X6 then